A Week In My Life

Hello friends! So, I’ve done one of these before, and you all loved it. Or you at least claimed to love it. Either way, I got great feedback and reviews.

Because I like being affirmed that I’m capable of doing something right, I’m gonna do another one. This week isn’t ridiculously musical in terms of what I’m doing or where I’m going, but it’s a fun week so I thought I’d have another go!

I actually started this post two separate times, once because I wasn’t happy with the visuals and the photos I had taken, and another time because I forgot to take photos for one whole day and had nothing to show for it.

But yeah, here’s another week in my life.

This time, let’s see if I decide to go to my lectures … (hint: probably not).

Monday was a struggle, but I managed to drag myself out of bed and get into the city for university. I did feel slightly cheated, considering I got dressed and got on the bus, but by the time I was getting on the train the sun had started to beat down and it had reached close to 25 degrees. Cheated. It was exceptionally warm for Spring, and I was not prepared. Thankfully I spent quite some time inside, first at my tutorial.

Untitled presentation (1)

It was an interesting enough tutorial. I couldn’t completely validate coming into the city for a one hour class, but I made the most of it, welcomed the extra work and practice for our upcoming final quiz, and thanked my tutor for her help this semester. I loved having her, she was a legend.

After finishing up my class, I headed back into Melbourne Central to meet up with a friend for lunch. We walked around the shops for half an hour or so, before getting back on the train and heading home.

Tuesday was a good day. One of the things that has changed since my last A Week In My Life post, is that I’ve started working a bit more regularly. Tuesday was a 9-5:30 shift, and it was pretty quiet, considering how shitty the weather was. It was a drastic change to the warm, sunny weather on Monday, and the rain and humidity probably kept some people at home, meaning it was pretty quiet, enough to get some work done. I ended up working on a blog post for my work’s website, collating catalogs, tuning guitars, answering the phones and online inquiries, posting on the store FaceBook page, and assisting any brave customer that came in from the rain.

Untitled presentation

On Tuesday I also got a message from one of my best friend’s (my pal Nishika, who coincidentally appeared in my first Week In My Life) boyfriend, who’s the music director at a new cocktail bar, offering me another set time for Friday. A few weeks ago my guitarist and I performed a short 45 minute gig at the bar, and it was heaps of fun, so I was over the moon to get a message asking if I wanted to perform again on Friday. After frantically messaging my guitarist again to check his availability, I confirmed the gig and spent a little bit of time typing up a set list.

In the evening I spent some time editing some of my own blog posts, checking in on two of my last assignments for this week and listening to some music before driving to the gym. If you haven’t checked out my playlists for the gym, I have two, which you can check out HERE and HERE. After an amazingly sweaty and brutal leg session, I headed home to do some more work on my group assignments, and called it a day.

As I mentioned above, I’ve started working more often, especially in the front end of the store with all the musical instruments rather than with sheet music and books, and Wednesday was another 9-5:30 shift. It was also another day of doing some pretty fun secretarial work, which I secretly really love. I’ve been taking on more responsibility in terms of back-end work and giving my opinion and input on bigger decisions that are made in regards to the running of the store and our online presence especially, which I love, and Wednesday gave me a decent dose of that. It was a pretty quiet day in terms of customers, though I did manage to help out a woman very early in the morning, meaning I got a sale in, which I didn’t do at all on Tuesday.

I got to fill in in the Print Department again, which is always nice. Because it tends to get really quiet back there throughout the middle of the day, I was able to do some of my own work, adding notes to a Slide presentation for Thursday and editing some blog posts.

Untitled presentation (2)

After work I got a bit of driving done, which I absolutely love now that I have my license, and did a pick up and drop off between my Mum at a night class and my sister from her dance class. In between going back and forth to pick them up, I finished up the last final touches for my university presentations.

My Thursday got off to a shaky start. I slept in a little bit late, but still managed to catch my bus to the train station. Then while on the train, I swear to God, I got so invested in looking at memes on FaceBook, I completely missed the stop at Richmond to get off and change to my City Loop train, meaning I had to go to Flinders Street and wait 15 minutes for the next train back to Melbourne Central. Which in turn, resulted in me walking into my 10:30 class at 10:40 and rushing to get sorted with my group for our presentation.

The presentation went alright. I’m just making a Credit in that class, which isn’t bad at all. But probably could have bumped my score up to a Distinction if we put a bit more effort but I finish uni this week and care factor is: 0.

The next two hours after that class were spent walking around Melbourne Central. I spent a bit of money, not too much, and afterwards headed to Nando’s for lunch, where I was joined by Kate, who has been mentioned on the blog quite a few times by now. After our Nando’s we walked over to Boost to get our Thursday Mango Tango which has been a tradition of ours this semester, and then headed to our Television Cultures class.

Untitled presentation

I had another presentation in this class, this time with Kate, and it was on the TV show The 100. Comparatively to the first presentation of the day, this one went really well and our class was fantastic. After university, we hopped on the train and headed back to my house, before getting changed and getting in the car to head to our netball game with all our friends.

It was a pretty close game, we lost by four, but it was a really fun match, though an indicator that my fitness levels are drastically worst than I initially thought. After dropping Kate, my other friend and my cousin back to their house, my little sister and I headed home.

What was left of the evening was spent preparing for an assignment that was due on Friday night which I had yet to start, as well as finalising all the details of my set for the next day.

Friday was a slow, yet hectic day for me, if that makes any sense at all. In true Priya fashion I left one of my biggest assignments, until the last day it was due. My studio class this semester was about cover songs, recording covers, performing tributes, anything and everything to do with performing pre-existing songs.

Our final assessment was to be developed over the semester, and that was a recorded version of a cover of any song of our choice. Throughout the entire semester, I had no idea of what song I was doing. And up until Friday morning I was still down to a list of four songs. Eventually I landed on iRobot by my man, Jon Bellion (new album out next month, get keen, get prepared).

That resulted in the next six hours of the day, stuck at my desk, practising, recording and mixing my cover, trying to not deviate too much from the original, but following the assignment criteria enough to ‘make it my own’. I don’t know, we’ll see what my mark is, but I feel like I did a decent job.

By the time I finished the song, finished the spoken reflection, uploaded it all and submitted it, I had another two hours to spare before I needed to start getting ready for the evening, so naturally I watched a movie, XOXO, which was decent enough to pass some time and have on while I did some general cleaning around my room.

Untitled presentation (1)

Around 7:00 I began getting ready for my gig that evening, and after I was all dressed up I quickly jumped to upload the cover to SoundCloud, and just as it finished uploading I got the text that my guitarist was in front of my house to pick me up.

We made it to the gig with a couple minutes to spare, and while it was a really quiet gig, I enjoyed it. There weren’t many people at all, but it made it a little less stressful, we mucked around a bit and chatted while we were up, and the vibe was generally really good. Getting paid to play music and muck around? Yes please.

Due to how quiet it was, we decided to kick off after our set, staying for a couple more minutes before getting into the car with another friend , and our other friend who plays drums with us, and head to McDonald’s for some food.

It was a good end to a decent day.

Saturday went much like the last few weeks. I started work at 9:00 in the morning until 5:00. It was a pretty quiet day in the Print Department which is where I was for majority of the day, save for a couple of times when I was needed at the front register.

The evening, after work, is when it well and truly kicked off.

For the last fifteen years my immediate and extended family have held a huge fundraiser for some charities back in India where my family is from. It’s a huge event, we sell tickets to roughly 300 people each year, there’s a band, a DJ, incredible food and heaps of drinking and dancing. It’s one of the highlights of the year and it takes a huge amount of work to put on.

Since I was at my gig on Friday night and work all of Saturday, I missed the huge load of work that’s needed to be done in order to set up the hall for the fundraiser, but ended up going at 6:30 to do last minute stuff before people came at 7:00.

Untitled presentation (2)

The night was incredible. The music was good, the food was amazing, Dan and James, my two friends who play guitar and drums for me came, along with Kate and another friend Yazmine, and the boys and I even got up and played a few songs for everyone.

It was also a late as heck night. By the time we turned off the music and everyone left it was close to 1:00am, but by the time we packed up what we needed to and left the hall it was closer to 3:30am.

A pretty good day to say the least.

Sunday was a slow one. Understandably, considering we all only really got to sleep at 4:00. My little sister and I only woke up around 1:30, to the sweet smell of bacon may I add, and majority of the day was spent lazing around, going through photos from the night before, counting money for accounts and sorting out bags that had been dumped in the corridor the night before.

I did some photo editing and post editing for You Should Hear, scheduling a couple more posts and making some small moodboards for said Week In My Life post, before getting ready to see my family again, at one of my cousin’s 23rd birthday dinner.

Untitled presentation (3)


It was a pretty quiet, chilled out dinner in terms of my family’s usual level of rowdiness. The night before was still pretty heavy on everyone and we were all still a little bit drained from the lack of sleep, but managed to have a really good time with great food again.

It was a good, relaxing way to end the week.

I really enjoyed making and writing this post. I hope it wasn’t boring to read, if you stuck around to read it all. Let me know what you thought, I’d love your feedback on these type of posts!



Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 1.01.15 pm

Feel free to follow me on my social media!
Instagram: YouShouldHear
Twitter: YouShouldHear
Instagram: priya_francis (personal)
Spotify: priyafrancis

5 thoughts on “A Week In My Life

  1. Your week in my lifes are always so interesting and motivational for me, I’d love to write one myself but I literally do nothing so I’d have nothing to say or post pictures of hahaha. You always seem to get so much done and it really motivates me to get my ass into gear hahaha, these are some of my favourite posts from you. PLEASE DO MORE. Also, I’m sure your cover will get some amazing marks (seriously loved it, but when don’t I) xx

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s